Top rope solo with Wild Country Ropeman

aikidjoe

Hi all - Reaching out to the community for comments on experience. 

I'm building my top rope solo setup. I currently have a Petzl Minitraxion, and am thinking of getting the Wild Country Ropeman2 as the back up, since it's less than half the cost and functions similarly. 

Does anyone with experience using the Ropeman have any feedback? Allow rope to glide through well? Catches without slipping? Etc. 

Thank you very much!

Joseph

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use rock exotica ( now petzl) microsender as the main catch for self belay.   it slide very well.  I used the ropeman as the backup and it did ok but not as smooth as the microsender.

if relying on one rope is a concern, rock exotica makes a DOUBLE rope clamp.  they grab independantly on each rope so you could have a rope failure on one strand and still hang on the other.

https://www.rockexotica.com/product/rope-grabs/double-microcender/

• 1 month later...

This is probably a bit late, but I have used a pair of ropemen for most of the TR soloing I have done (had them from some mountaineering gear given to me).  They definitely don't feed as well as a microtrax but with more weight at the bottom of the rope it works fine.  If I had lots of money I would get two microtraxions but...free gear is the best gear. 

Edit: The teeth are pretty agressive and offer a totally slip free catch...so there's that. 

Edited by Hans Travis