[TR] Mt Hood - Reid Headwall - Iced up solo 12/09/2017

BrandonU

Trip: Mt Hood - Reid Headwall - Iced up solo

Trip Date: 12/09/2017

Trip Report:

Went for a solo outing on the Reid Headwall last Saturday and found AMAZING ice conditions! Got lucky with great weather, no wind, and sick ice. By far my favorite route, and the best conditions I have found. I could tell you about it...but seeing is way more fun!

Check out the climb in 4K!

Gear Notes:
Petzl Quarks, Petzl Lynx crampons

Approach Notes:
Timberline to I-Saddle

• Like 1
  • Rawk on! 2

Thanks for the report, looks like great conditions up there.  Did you see many crevasses and/or have trouble with the bergschrund? At this point in the season I'd be a little nervous about that having dropped a partner in mid-winter a couple years ago.

At this point the route will be in until spring if the weather and avy conditions allow.

I think the route should generally be in until Spring, the amount/conditions of ice you encounter might vary though with new storms and snow dumps.

I didn't see any open crevasses high on the Reid, but I was weary of them so stayed as high as I possibly could to avoid them. Also the bergschrund was partly open and visible, but there were a couple great spots to safely cross over it.

they sure as shit would be disappointed in the return...unless they were the right kinda depraved, and were around for just the right 10 n' 1/2 seconds :)

my favorite reid solo was topping out on the west crater rim n' immediately falling 500 feet into the crater in the full site of 100 totally disinterested tourons on the hogsback...fuck, sure wish i'dve a camera for that so i coulda sued them backwater bitches :rawk: