Any recommendations for a pack raft?

Matt Lemke

I am looking to buy a pack raft I can use for floating some rivers in Alaska this coming spring/summer. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this and can pass on some info regarding which ones I should be looking at? Here's a little about me for context:

I am 6' 9" tall (yes...I really am) and weigh 200 pounds. So I would obviously need a raft I can fit in. Also, I would not consider anything more than 4 pounds. Needs to be light, as we are carrying it in deep into the Alaskan Mountains. I am a climber, (duh) looking to expand my horizons and try mixing activities. In order to save some walking, and money, I am thinking of getting a packraft to float out after climbing. 

Any info regarding this is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Matt:

I'd suggest making a post over at ProfessorPaddle.com, or the "Seattle Whitewater Kayaking" Facebook group for specific info on packrafts. I don't do it myself, but have kayaked with a couple of guys who mix in packrafting with their whitewater kayaking and I'm sure there are many more that I'm not aware of that could pass along some helpful info.

I don't know what your background is, but if you haven't spent much time on rivers I'd make it a point to spend as much time as possible paddling around a fully loaded packraft on water that's at least a full grade harder than anything you anticipate floating down in Alaska. There are quite a few local stretches that would serve as a good training ground for that sort of thing, and once you pick out your boat the folks on those boards will have lots of good suggestions for training runs.

I own two Alpacka's and you cannot go wrong.  They have been to Alaska doing white water in Denali National Park and Beaver Creek in the White Mountains of Alaska.  They are rugged and the customer service is great.  I also use them around our local creeks to float around with my wife and children.  

IMG_3953.JPG

Edited by tpoe