[TR] Switchback, Martin, and Bigelow Larchiness - The Dog routes 10/8/2017

JasonG

Trip: Switchback, Martin, and Bigelow Larchiness - The Dog routes

Date: 10/8/2017

Trip Report:

Nagging tendon issues have kept me away from real technical climbing this summer. Thankfully, the Cascades are infinitely scalable, and I've been able to shift my focus to scrambles and easy mountaineering objectives. The latest peak bagging mission earlier this month happened to overlap with the Alpine larch insanity that grips the North Cascades every October and, most importantly, a weekend when my parents could watch our boys. As a bonus, Scott and Megan were able to join as well. Oh, and Lucas, MOUNTAIN DOG!

My wife and I met climbing, but we rarely get out in the hills together any more. That's why it was a special treat on this trip to hang with good friends, tag some summits, eat chocolate, and share some drinks around the fire. Even after all these years, I'm struck by what a beautiful backyard we have. Especially during larch season.....

2017MartinLoop35273.JPG

2017MartinLoop35280.JPG

2017MartinLoop35287.JPG

2017MartinLoop35296.JPG

2017MartinLoop35334.JPG

2017MartinLoop35377.JPG

2017MartinLoop35379.JPG

2017MartinLoop35456.JPG

2017MartinLoop35463.JPG

2017MartinLoop35473.JPG

2017MartinLoop35486.JPG

2017MartinLoop35549.JPG

2017MartinLoop35601.JPG

2017MartinLoop35614.JPG

2017MartinLoop35636.JPG

2017MartinLoop35655.JPG

2017MartinLoop35679.JPG

2017MartinLoop35720.JPG

2017MartinLoop35727.JPG

2017MartinLoop35828.JPG

2017MartinLoop35829.JPG

2017MartinLoop35848.JPG

2017MartinLoop35853.JPG

2017MartinLoop35879.JPG

2017MartinLoop35881.JPG

2017MartinLoop35886.JPG

2017MartinLoop35927.JPG

2017MartinLoop35945.JPG

2017MartinLoop36004.JPG

2017MartinLoop36020.JPG

2017MartinLoop36034.JPG

2017MartinLoop36043.JPG

2017MartinLoop36046.JPG

Gear Notes:

Standard hiking fare. We didn't feel helmets were necessary.

Approach Notes:

Crater Creek trailhead. We went clockwise, but the other way would be fine as well. We camped at Cooney and Boiling lakes. Switchback and Martin on Day 2, Bigelow on day 3 and out. We only ran into a few motorcycles and mtn. bikes on day 1. All were respectful.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

Yeah Steve, we certainly missed you and Holli!

Buckaroo- Lucas made it up all three peaks. It was impressive to watch him work up through the boulderfields, especially since he is about 12 or so (he's like an old Tibetan Lama, nobody is quite sure how old he is). Glad you like the long exposure shot, since I was starting to regret lugging the tripod all over the place.

We only ran into a few motorcycles and mtn. bikes on day 1. All were respectful.

I think the Spring guide books ruined many hikers for many places, scaring them off with rants of rude and out-of-control bikers.

I always find these places empty. Bonus.

After arriving to a packed TH, filled with bike racks and trucks, I was expecting the worst. But there are a lot of trail miles served by that parking area and people spread out. We would communicate with the moto/mtn bikers as to our party size, they would do the same, and everyone would get past each other without incident. The noise from the motos was a bit surprising, but since we didn't have that many motorized parties (~4?) over the course of the three days, it was totally fine.

If it became (resumed being?) really popular with the moto crowd I could see there being issues. It's hard to say (for me) what it was like in these areas 30+ years ago when Harvey and Ira were still active... I know use patterns can and do change dramatically over the decades. I've certainly seen it firsthand in my stomping grounds on the west side.

did you find that wolf on the trail and befriend it?

That's actually not far off the story behind Lucas. His original owners were neighbors of Scott and Meg who divorced and split town some years back. Lucas didn't fit into either of their plans and the neighborhood committed to keeping him fed and sheltered. Scott and Meg became the de facto owners of Lucas and have acclimated him to the choss life. He's taken to it admirably and probably has 10 of the 100 highest under his belt.

Well....I'm afraid to say I don't know. Given the drive and itinerary I was thinking I wouldn't have much time for fishing and this proved true. I was second guessing my decision on the drive, but am glad I left the fishing gear behind. Cooney lake was far too windy to fish comfortably and Boiling Lake was down so low that there was a big ring of mud to access the water. Lots of fish in Boiling though, even if it was 2/3rds frozen over in the morning!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, curtveld said:

All it needs is a "best of CC" tag!  Your previous Sawtooth TR inspired me and Andy to go up there the following year during larch season.  Well worth it.

With his photography and eye for nice places to visit in the mtns we may just need to make that the default tag on all his TRs....:yoda: