Alpine, ice climbing pack

PFC

I've owned a Cold Cold World Chernobyl for the better part of 20 years that is finally calling it a day. I'm looking for a replacement pack pretty much for winter day trips. Whilst the CCW pack was outstanding, I seek something with a little more back support, either a plastic sheet or AL stays. If Black Ice Podsacs were still available I would jump on the chance to buy one, but unfortunately they are long gone. I've drooled over Hyperlite ice packs but am hesitant because of the horrific cost as well as the durability, abrasion resistance of the dyneema (cuben fiber) material. Any thoughts, comments, first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cilogear packs are great, but only really last for a year before exploding. Because if this I've switched to hyperlight packs for actual alpine climbing. Again, durability isn't great, but if you only use them for your one big trip a year they're great. Overall I like the rolltop closure, although it can be finnicky at times. I just started using a CCW pack and am psyched, although so far it's just been for summertime rock usage. It's much cheaper and durable than those other options. For anything in the lower 48 it's what I'd use. So much of the time I think having the lightest best thing isn't really going to make any difference.

I'd suggest getting a new CCW. Cilo will last you a year before turning into a hamper bag with shoulder straps, and hyperlight, while nice, isn't really essential unless you're climbing in alaska or a similar big mountain area.

Edited by keenwesh

Maybe ask if the CCW people could add what you need to their pack. I heard that they were good with custom work.

Or do you own custom mod. I got a hold of some thick plastic sheet. Been cutting it out and sliding it into the hydration sleeve for more support, like in my old MEC genie pack.

I got a old wild thing guides pack that went through hell with a crazy rodent. Lots of little bite marks. Lots of hard miles by the previous owner, a local mtn guide, but still hanging in there. Too small for alpine overnight but good for a day trip. I end up using that pack for most things. Seems to have the right bells/whistles and nothing else. CCW and wild things seem to share similar clients.

I know this sounds odd, but I really like the framing and how the light Osprey packs work. That being said, I do not like their setup for how the pack is...I just like the framing... If only I could get a marriage between Cilo and Osprey...

maybe ask to buy an Osprey framing system...then send it to Cilo to custom make the pack part of it....

Edited by Stefan

The Black Diamond Speed 40 pack has a plastic sheet and stay. Their fabric is nylon; not the bombproof cordura of the CCW. They're about half the cost of Cilogear and HMG (usually can be found on sale for $130ish). It's a little smaller volume than the Chernobyl but probably adequate for winter daytrips. I see a lot of these in the hills, and think they fill the market niche you're in (threading the needle between affordability, durability, light weight).

The older I get, the more convinced I am that I don't need a "cool kids" climbing pack for the majority of Cascade rambling where there's 0% chance of hauling a pack up a belayed pitch. If you're after some comfort, you may want to look at a Gregory Zulu 40 or Osprey Exos. The narcissistic elitist in me wants to carry a pack that signals that I'm more of a "cascadeclimber" than a "nwhiker", but it may be worth taking a look if you're seeking something that can give you some comfort / support (and maybe a pocket or three).

• 1 month later...

Any of the adjustable frame packs made for climbing may be what you want I have the Mystery Ranch one, Osprey makes one, I think Gregory has one.  I prefer the design where you can put a close cell foam pad on the outside of the pack, on the side, not bottom. The lighter made packs can be  painful with a +/- 30 pound load, so I went to the mystery ranch adjustable framed pack (Pitch). You do pay a weight penitently for a framed pack, so I think of times going back to a zero framed pack,  However for me I need a frame if much over 20 pound loads.

By the way if doing mail order it can be hard to get the right size, be sure to make sure the size is right, sometimes the recommendation of the maker are wrong.  Adjustable frame is nice, a longer frame pack often feels better until you put in long miles then it starts to hurt the tops of the legs were you raise them up against the pack waist strap.

Edited by DanO