Go-to Training Hikes

Bronco

I'm always curious about where folks go to get a good, quick 4,000-5,000' training hike with-in a 90 minute drive of Everett.

I mean besides Mailbox or Mt. Si. Mt. Pugh is a good one. Dickerman is pretty crowded. Whitehorse to Lone Tree via the Niederprum is ok but the mile of road walking is pretty boring. Labyrinth Mountain is good but a longer drive.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked Teneriffe much better than Mailbox or Si. You can also add some mileage and save your knees by taking the logging roads down and/or linking up with Si.

Forgotten is a bit longer and much less crowded than Dickerman. Same trailhead.

Rock Mountain out past Stevens Pass fits your criteria and is a really nice.

I've always liked Teneriffe much better than Mailbox or Si. You can also add some mileage and save your knees by taking the logging roads down and/or linking up with Si.

Agreed, good suggestion. When I got bored of running repeats on Mt Si I would park at the Mt. Si parking lot, run the road to Teneriffe, run up Teneriffe then traverse to Mt. Si and then down Si to my car.

Unfortunately, Three Fingers and Persis now involve several miles of logging road walking to get to the former trailheads.

Were the roads washed out or something? That is kind of a bummer.

There is a big washout on the road to Three Fingers that there is no funding to fix and the road to Persis is generally gated at HWY 2 due to knuckleheads vandalizing the logging equipment and leaving garbage up the road.

If you can add ~ 20 mins to that drive, try Church Mountain just outside of Glacier on the 542. Lots of switchbacks for 1st 2 hours then a clearing thru alpine meadows and another hour of hills to a scenic summit ridge with great views of Mts. Baker/Shuksan. Almost 4k' elevation gain over 11 miles roundtrip out and back. Leisurely 4.5 hours roundtrip walk... crampons/axe helpful in early season...4th class finish to true summit optional.

Edited by bargainhunter

When I lived in Everett, I used to lap Teneriffe's Kamikaze Falls. It's about 3.4 miles and 3700' gain one way. Just after my 37th birthday I did it 4 times in a row for nearly 15k' gain and 28 miles in about 10.5 hours.

Not sure where else you can get that kind of gain that quickly, and it's an interesting hike.

I'm always curious about where folks go to get a good, quick 4,000-5,000' training hike with-in a 90 minute drive of Everett.

Gunn ;)

Lookout Mtn. and Cow Heaven up 20 are good. Same with old trail up Sauk from 20. Starts at ~400' so you can get 2-3k snow free most of the winter as well. All are right at the edge of your 90 min cutoff. Let me know if you are headed up my way!