Paradise to Camp Muir

mzamp

What are "typical" times for reaching Camp Muir? I was thinking it would take about 5-6 hours at a moderate pace with ample breaks. Are there any issues with getting a late start (around 11:00am) or should we try and get started earlier? We get in late the night before, so I was thinking the extra sleep/rest was more important than an early start?

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My times to camp Muir range between 60 minutes skinning with a light day pack to 3 hours hiking at a casual pace with an overnight pack.

I've seen a lot of over burdened climbers with ridiculously huge packs who may take 5 -6 hours. Your pack should not weigh much more than 30 pounds.

Starting late cons:

- Camping permit availability - may be forced to camp somewhere other than Muir or may not get a permit at all.

- Soft snow on the approach

- Less time to acclimate at Camp Muir

Starting early cons:

- Less beauty sleep, but you can nap at Camp Muir.

C"mon Dan ... 60 minutes to Muir? 4900 feet per hour? Maybe you should give the FKT a shot. I'd suggest that 2 hours on skins is smoking it.

I'd agree with the 3 hours, and everything else.

I'd suggest the early start. You'll be able to sleep on the plane, and you'll be jonesin' to start in the morning anyway. Additionally, the napping and people watching at Muir is priceless, and worth the early start.

LOL

We already have permits reserved so that is not an issue. We need to get fuel and it looks like the store opens at 7am, so we would be looking at about a 8am start to CM. But if the 3 hours is accurate then even a 9am start will get us there at noon. Plenty of time to melt snow, set up camp, and people watch.

C"mon Dan ... 60 minutes to Muir? 4900 feet per hour? Maybe you should give the FKT a shot.

I am in no way stretching the truth. Also, the elevation gain is less than 4,800 feet. I know a lot of people who have gone to Muir in an hour so I don't think it is that big a deal, especially if conditions are perfect and one is skinning. The two fellows from Utah who set the speed record on Rainier skied up to Muir in 60 minutes, and their time above Muir was not any faster than what I have done in the past. They made up all their time on the descent.

Funny story though, as I was skinning above Pan Point, an overweight fellow started running to keep up, telling me he was looking for climbing partners and wanted to climb Tahoma Glacier. I said that's sound cool, then he had to slow down and I kept going.

I relaxed for a while at Camp Muir then skied down until I ran into a group of people. I stopped and recognized one of the people as AJ Ritter, a friend who was deeply involved with Seattle Mountain Rescue. They were gathered around the dude who tried to keep up with me, he was laid out in the snow, gasping "I'm ok...".

FWIW, I have a 7.2 liter lung capacity (my height, gender, and ethnicity would predict a 4.8 liter capacity) and a VO2 Max of 65. I trail ran a lot, running up to 500,000 feet of elevation a year in addition to the climbing and skiing.

Additionally, the napping and people watching at Muir is priceless, and worth the early start.

I was going to mention the opportunity to hit on the female guests of the guide services is worth an early start.

Edited by DPS

LOL

We need to get fuel and it looks like the store opens at 7am, so we would be looking at about a 8am start to CM.

I bet Whittaker Mountaineering in Ashford sells fuel, and they open at 7 AM according to their web page. You could get an even earlier start in that case.

Go very early or later when the sun goes down. Going up to Muir in the mid day heat SUCKS. It will drain your energy and require carrying tons of water. 11:00am would be my last choice of time to start.

3 hours with an overnight pack is on the fitter end of the range, and is probably not necessary to exert yourself that much on day 1. Guide services regularly take 6-7 hours to Muir and still somehow still get those people to the top of the mountain. IMO it should take you 4-5 max or your fitness/pack weight are probably in question.

If you want to have a good trip, three days for Rainier summit, with two days spent moving up the mountain. I can't stress this enough. That and only going if the forecast is perfect (clear with <30mph winds forecast for summit). Go somewhere else in WA if the forecast sucks.

Have fun! Just got back from the summit last night and the mountain is in good shape.....

If you want to have a good trip, three days for Rainier summit, with two days spent moving up the mountain. I can't stress this enough. That and only going if the forecast is perfect (clear with <30mph winds forecast for summit). Go somewhere else in WA if the forecast sucks.

Have fun! Just got back from the summit last night and the mountain is in good shape.....

When you book a flight from out of town you roll the dice and cross your fingers. Unless the conditions are an absolute "no go", you give it a shot. Several people have told me a 3 day is much more enjoyable. The problem is, day 2 is looking like the better weather day and I would hate to pass on that window. We are keeping our options open and will have supplies to last 3 days (4 if absolutely necessary).

BTW - due to schedules, we are braving the crowds and going this weekend. Should be a good battle of patience.

I have summited 6 times. I am in good shape. I always take 5hrs to muir on a summit climb. I can go faster but for me there is no advantage.

I would leave earlier than 11 if it was me.

Good luck.

By the way 60min to muir is a crazy fast time. I can't go down from muir that fast with my average lung capacity.

By the way 60min to muir is a crazy fast time. I can't go down from muir that fast with my average lung capacity.

I know a number of folks who have gone that fast, pretty much every climber who has at one time set the speed record came through Muir in 60 minutes or less.

I have summited 6 times. I am in good shape. I always take 5hrs to muir on a summit climb. I can go faster but for me there is no advantage.

I would leave earlier than 11 if it was me.

Good luck.

We started at 9am and even then we were sweating like pigs. We made it to Muir in 5.5 hours climbing at a leisurely pace with ample breaks as one of our 4 was slow.