boston basin conditions

lutzman

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there early July 2014, another big snow year, and skis were helpful. My partner was without skis and managed just fine, but was slower.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1126562

I did not bring normal shoes, but my boots hike very well. If you have room to bring them, might not be a bad idea.

Regarding snow on the WR, we did not have any issues. Might still be some around, but that would surprise me; I would think it would not be a problem, though.

Have fun!

Edited by dave schultz

I just got back from Eldorado yesterday. The snow line is somewhere between 4800 feet and 5000 feet on west aspects. Lots of snow from there up. Freezing levels were between 7k and 9k but we didn't take any kind of flotation and were fine. Definitely would have been faster with skis though.

I have a friend who was in Boston Basin last weekend and he said the river crossings were covered in snow and easy to cross. I assume things would be pretty similar although it has definitely melting fast up high this week. It was forecasted to rain 2.5 inches of rain up to 9000ft on Thursday and believe me when I say it did on Eldorado at least!! Looking at Forbidden from Eldorado the west ridge looked pretty melted out. I am sure there might be some snow still lingering in a few places but it looked to be mostly all rock.