Tieton River Canyon - Any campsites open yet?

Khoi

Every time I go climbing at Tieton I like staying at the Hause Creek Campsite.

I am aware that it is not scheduled to open until May 25 as I have been to their website: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/hause-creek-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74018

The reason why I am asking is that it has been my experience in the past that sometimes that campsite actually "opens" earlier than the stated date.

In 2014 the Hause Creek campsite wasn't due to be open until May. But we were interested in climbing there on our way back from Indian Creek, so we dropped by on April 25. Fortunately for us, the couple who live in their RV and are in charge of that campsite just arrived that day and opened it!

So I am hoping that we can get the same stroke of luck again since I am planning on being there May 1 - May 3.

If anyone is driving that section of Hwy 12 I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a quick look to see if ANY of the campsites are open yet.

THANKS!

Edited by Khoi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been climbing and camping at Tieton last 2 weekends.

Campgrounds are not open but plenty of primitive camping and campers along the river. also noticed some were just parking near the closed gate of windypoint campground, and walking their stuff in. I should be out there again Sunday.

looking to climb Dirty Sanchez or ride the lightning this weekend and looking for a partner.. i'll be camping at lavapoint this weekend.

Campgrounds still not open as of 5/8 .. but plenty of camping to be found. amazing weather last weekend.. this weekend should be good to.