[TR] Hubba Hubba Leavenworth - Left flow of Hubba Hubba 3/4/2017

montynet

Trip: Hubba Hubba Leavenworth - Left flow of Hubba Hubba

Date: 3/4/2017

Trip Report:

A group of 4 of us decided to go ice climbing in Leavenworth. We had previous beta that the routes were in, so off we went in search of this ice. Although there are several trip reports for Hubba Hubba we couldn't find a single one with a gpx file. Finding the ice flow wasn't hard though, we had a pretty clear day and we saw it from the parking lot as predicted by trip reports. I have included my gpx file to the start of the ice flows. Beware that this approach is in the unholy range of 30-45 degree slope. There was recent avalanche activity in the approach to the ice flows so we had a few concerns going up fortunately nothing happened. The routes are still in, I do not know how much longer they will last as there were sections of very thin ice. The central flow has the healthiest looking ice but it was beyond our group's skill level so we decided to play it conservatively and did some of the left flow route (WI2+). Apparently this is two pitches, but we did not complete the route as it was more of a learning ice climb for our group than an actual attempt at the whole route. Our group alternated leads as a learning experience. We cleaned the route and rapped off a v thread (not a very good one, but it served its purpose), so I did leave some pmi cord out there.

Below some pictures and the gpx file.

Gpx: https://dl.orangedox.com/k4GQrJPaIO6eaB25Gy

Pics (click for full size, I couldn't get these to rotate for some reason):

1sR6pZKa.jpg BYCOGni6.jpg SjoD05SM.jpg vYXUpXuw.jpg Z3vCqW9w.jpg

Gear Notes:

We had 5 ice screws (I believe the ice screws were 10, 13, 16, and 2x19), two pickets, and half a rock rack. We used both pickets and all 5 screws but none of the rock pro.

Approach Notes:

Beware of avy potential on approach. Road to TH is plowed, suitable for all vehicles.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for others who may not know, there is a resident anchor at the top of the first pitch of the far left flow -- in rock, climbers' left.

avalanche debris is typical below the main flow, especially late in the season. I've seen it piled 20' deep in some years - most likely accumulated from repeated slides. that's why old-time locals call this flow The Funnel.

-Haireball