Mount Rainier, 5 days with 2 nights on summit

schroden

Planning another multi-day Mount Rainier climb, with plans for camping 2 nights on the summit (summit crater). Tentative dates June 19-23, planning 1 day to get to camp, 1 day to get to summit, 1 full day exploring summit areas, 1 day to get down, and 1 day to allow for weather delays, or to split the decent into 2 days. Another way of looking at is 1 night half way up, 2 nights at top, and 1 night half way down. If things go great, we can always come home a day early.

I like the Emmons/Winthrop from Sunrise entrance much better then the DC route. Would entertain Kautz or other route, depending on what the skill set is.

Would really like to succeed at having the time in the summit zone. Spent 1 night in summit crater in 2014, which was great! The views of the sunset and surrounding landscape are worth the climb! Still want to touch all 3 high points, walk the crater rim, check out the west crater, and of course ice caves! Understand that conditions can get sketchy at the top, but the crater is a bit protected, tent pads are dug in some, and the ice caves are always protected!

Allan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: have 3-4 interested climbers. Plenty of room for more, as there are 30+ 'campsites' reserve-able in the summit crater! Also think 2 rope teams would make the climb safer and allow more flexibility for activities in the summit zone, and even rate of climb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey! we ate at the 2 months to the big climb. Time to start getting things locked in, but also time to add a second rope team!

Already dreaming about the summit zone features to explore: Ice Caves, west crater, Liberty Cap, Point success, East crater rim, sunrise and sunset x2...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello

UPDATE:

The climb did happen. Full trip report in the works.

In brief, made camp Sherman Monday 6/19. Windy conditions and icy upper mountain, so opted for rest day Tuesday, and again Wednesday. Wind died down for Thursday' so climbed up to the summit, camping in the crater near the north rim. Awesome but windy sunset, and beautiful sunrise. Had to beat it off the mountain on Friday, so still not enough to explore time, but still a success.

IF YOU AR INTERESTED IN THIS TYPE OF CLIMB, I would love to participate. Just PM me. I will be in the Seattle area again next summer.

Allan Schroden

• 2 months later...

FYI: Trip report (finally!) posted. Spent too much time working and vacationing, including a week climbing in Colorado. :)

Having trouble uploading pictures, so may add then later.

3rd successful climb, with 1 night on summit for 2 of the 3 climbs.

If anyone is interested in participating or organizing a climb that would incorporate the option of night(s) on summit and or time to explore the upper mountain, craters, ice caves, etc. Feel free to PM me or reply here.

Hoping to climb Mt Rainier again in 2018!