Health Insurance?

fuzzymuzzle

I'm just getting into winter Alpine travel and will take a class here or there when I can afford it, avalanche safety and then glacier travel. I've no real desire to get into full on technical climbing and intend to stay in the PNW. To start it'll just be snowshoeing and camping.

I'm self employed and pretty much can't afford the mandated insurance offerings.

Are there any other options for a Seattle resident?

How many of you folks just go without?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went without insurance until I had a very serious climbing accident with very serious hospital bills. It was what largely influenced me to accept a job I disliked but had health insurance and 20 years later I am still there, largely because of the health insurance.

I thought that Washington has its own health insurance, which is affordable, but might require a wait list. Apple Care or something.

don't mean to sound like your dad, but get the health insurance. it may seem tat you can not afford it but what you can not afford is trying to pay off even a simple hospital visit.

not the same situation as you are in, but in one year my wife got a hysterectomy, my son spent 4 days in ICU at harbor view with a lacerated liver and I got some knee meniscus work done. Well over $200K of hospital bills but it cost me personally only $500 deductible.

It seems like you may be thinking that since you are not doing technical climbing that health care insurance is not critical. That is delusional. General life has plenty of opportunities to smack a person around. Several friends have bike accidents. Couple friends have had avi accidents that put them in the hospital. (or worse) Hikers simply fall off the trail. Basically, life is dangerous. If you get out often enough, you will need to help of a health care system. be prepared to pay for it, either beforehand with insurance or afterwards with bankruptcy or a lifetime of bill payments. :)

So after 20 min on the phone with some cool lady from Texas it seems as though I could get into high deductible insurance for about $130/mo...not disgustingly horrible...just horrible. That's a 7k deductible. Although it's not such a bad deal if you're staring at a 20k bill. Why couldn't I have been born in Europe???