Lion's Head trail work

coldiron

Brian, Joe and I recently put about 25 man-hours into clearing the Lion's Head approach trail. We probably cut out close to 100 logs and used machetes and even a cordless hedge trimmer to return the trail to its original condition. It's an awesome trail once again! The trail is impossible to lose now... a literal stroll through the forest.

16 years ago, a group of hard-core Spokane climbers had put many hours of upkeep into that trail. I used to see these guys out at Dishman climbing every night after work. Lawn chairs and a cooler of PBR's, smoking dope and crushing old-school 11's and 12's. They had good style and climbed hard... it was cool to continue some work they started long ago. Dishman Dave and Tug are the only two I remember. Does anyone know if any of this crew is still climbing?

Lion's Head is a bad-ass, massive chunk of alpine granite. You should get out there and check it out! On a sunny day the Southwest Wall would be great climbing even through October. Route descriptions and beta are being added to Mountain Project. Go get some!

Edited by coldiron

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Awesome - thanks guys.  My cousins daughter and her husband just got out there a couple of weeks ago and got on top of both summits.  Been my Dad's dream for 50 years and I tried to get in there twice with him over the years, but always he was smoked by the time we bush whacked in there far enough to see the summits and he was bushed!

• 2 weeks later...