Second Ascent - Loss of another Seattle intuition?

DPS

Is Second Ascent under new ownership? I went in there for the first time in a couple of years and noticed that I did not know anyone who worked there, all the awesome climbing memorabilia is gone, they are not really interested in buying used gear, and the place looks like REI. And I mean that not in a good way.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad. The collection of vintage Chouinard Ice tools, Greg Child's tent from his ascent of G-IV, Viesturs' down suit - all gone. I have always known someone who was working there when I would stop in. I recognized no one this time. I had wanted to to sell three garments, two that had been worn once, one still with tags. The clerk snottily replied "You say it has only been worn once, but to us it is used." They offered $0.10 on the retail dollar in store credit, no cash. I will not be back, I'll stick to Pro Mountain Sports when I need climbing gear, Jim has always done right by me.

Edited by DPS

I think the vintage gear was from the personal collection of Greg, the former owner.

I had a similar experience recently when I tried to sell some quite new lightly used Patagonia clothing ($75 dollar windshirt) and was offered less then the cost of a pint.

At any rate, it seems like theyve been doing a good job at least of stocking lots of b/c ski gear.

I like that the biking section is now in a separate building down the block. That was a good move.

No they don't have the same amount of used gear they once did, but they still have decent climbing stuff. Maybe not as refined towards climbers like PMS but still pretty good for climbing gear.

I just walked by the North Face store at Northgate Shopping Mall. You can always give them a shot ;)