[TR] Slippery Slab Tower - Northeast Face 10/1/2016

bellows

Trip: Slippery Slab Tower - Northeast Face

Date: 10/1/2016

Trip Report:

Slippery Slab Tower near Stevens Pass is a good destination if you're looking for a long hike capped with a short rock climb on an appealing alpine tower. Overall it's about 12 miles round trip with half a pitch of low-fifth rock. The hiking along the PCT is certainly the highlight of the day. Saturday's weather was just good enough for my wife and I to squeeze it in for one last climb to cap off our summer.

Fall colors in full effect:

IMG_24061.JPG

IMG_24211.JPG

Progressively closer views of Slippery Slab Tower along the approach:

IMG_24153.JPG

IMG_24083.JPG

IMG_24241.JPG

At the base of the climb we scrambled the obvious 4th class gully up to a big ledge with trees. From there I led a single pitch ~50' up a slabby dihedral, made appropriately slippery with a small squall of snow flurries and my trail runners. I took the single lead all the way to the summit block and belayed by wife up. From there we down climbed to a boulder with sling and rapped the route and gully. Action shots:

IMG_24291.JPG

IMG_24322.JPG

IMG_24481.JPG

IMG_24381.JPG

About an hour later we were back at our packs where Mac was waiting patiently for us. Alpine crag dog:

IMG_24633.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Overall is was just over 8 hours c2c via the Tunnel Creek approach. We were slowed down by plentiful blueberries still in season along the trail:

IMG_24923.JPG

Gear Notes:

Small alpine rack. There's a stuck 0.3 (not mine) crammed way in a crack in the dihedral that you might be able to booty with a coat hanger, a flash light, and a patient belayer.

Approach Notes:

Savor the approach.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic